Surprise is a 32' Topaz express. The vessel is outfitted with Coast Guard-required safety equipment, a cabin and full head. Depending on weather and sea conditions, we can cruise comfortably at 21-23 knots getting us to the grounds quickly to maximize our fishing time.
Midcoast Charters provides fishing trips as well as local sightseeing and custom charters. Typical fishing charters are half day (4 hours) or full day (8 hours). For fishing charters your license, tackle, and bait are provided and you may bring your own rod if you choose.
Custom charters are welcomed so let us know what you have in mind. A few ideas are trips to Boothbay Harbor, visiting local waterfront restaurants such as Morse's Cribstone Grill on Bailey Island, The Dolphin Marina in South Harpswell, or even restaurants in Portland with dock access. We can accommodate 6 passengers.
- Proper clothing. This depends on season and weather so check with your captain in advance.
- Sun Screen. Even when it's chilly and/or overcast, the sun can sneak up on you while you're spending time on the water.
- Sunglasses & hat.
- Any necessary personal medication. Please be aware that even though marijuana has been legalized for medical and recreational use in Maine, we fall under federal laws enforced by the Coast Guard so please leave marijuana on shore. If you have required medication and/or any health concerns, please make your captain aware ahead of time.
- Seasickness medication. This should be taken before leaving land. Check with a pharmacy for over the counter preventative medication, or consult your physician in advance if you believe you are particularly susceptible to motion sickness.
- A cooler/lunch/ice/preferred beverages. Alcohol is permitted but reasonable consumption is expected.
- Camera/video camera, batteries, film (if you still use it!)
- A sense of adventure! You never know what you're going to see and experience on the ocean and it's always an adventure.
- A good attitude!
- A bad attitude! Remember this is supposed to be fun.
- Illegal drugs
- Firearms (we wont be fending off pirates)